Friday, December 19, 2008

Paying Forward?

I must be living wrong...

There was a layoff at Peyton PHlaCe a few weeks ago. The company kept all laid off employees on the payroll until 12/31 (yeah they are still being paid to stay away from the office while we do their work). And their benefits are in place through March...

This week, one of my coworkers (a contractor) just gave her notice...

So, now they are bringing back the guy they let go last month, but as a contractor...

Which means while he is doing the work he was doing before he got laid off, he will be getting severance pay from Peyton PHlace and a salary from the contracting agency that Peyton PHlaCe is now paying to have him do the work he was doing before....

Meanwhile, on a different note, today I signed papers to refinance my house.

And I am thinking (yeah, I do that at times)...I am never going to own this house (or any house). I may as well be renting.

And meanwhile, my oldest is in town visiting and a friend asked me where he was staying. A night with his dad, a night or two with friends, a night or two with me...

And that got me to thinking even more (oh no, not that again)...

When G-man goes off to college, there is nothing keeping me here in this condo...I could sell it and go on the road...

Stay with me here...This could work...

See, I have given my kids a place to stay for the past 25 or so years, right?

I am sure they would not mind (in fact they may even love it) if I stayed with each of them for short durations at a time.

I would not get in their way...
I would not mind sleeping on their couch...
There would be no need to make any special arrangements for me...
They would not even know I am there...
No worries at all...
I would never expect them to keep it quiet just because I am there....
Hell, I may even cook dinner for them once in a while...
Maybe not a healthy dinner, but dinner none the less...
And I promise not to spoil the grandkids (if they ever give me any)...
And I promise to try not to explain to them the better way to do things...

Yeah, this just might work....
Think I can get G-man to take some extra classes and graduate early?
Retirement is looking better all the time...

Just kidding guys...please do not revoke my open invitation - I still do have one of those, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOLOLLLL..... Let me know how that pans out for ya....They love ya, but it does have limits....lol....then again, maybe you have extremely awesome and wonderful kids!!!! In that case, take me with ya.....LOL just teasin