Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I like this plan....

...especially since I qualify:)

The St. Petersburg Times Newspaper recently asked readers for their ideas on how to fix the economy. My favorite suggestion was nicknamed the The Patriotic Retirement Plan. In summary:

No more money to companies that have squander past bailouts on lavish parties and unearned bonuses...

Instead, pay $1 million dollars severance for early retirement to each of the 40 million people over the age of 50 who are currently in the work force. (Hey, that's me!)


Upon acceptance of the money:

  • They MUST retire. (NO problem there!) With an instant 40 million job openings, unemployment will no longer be a problem.

  • They MUST buy a new American car. (NO problem there - well, I sort of wanted a Honda next time, but I hear they are made in America now.) With 40 million cars ordered, the auto industry should bounce back..

  • They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage. (NO problem there, who would not want to get rid of that debt?) This should bring a swift end to the housing crisis.

Where do I sign up?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I say get rid of all the old coots!

Um, oh. I'm getting up there too. When did that happen? Never mind.

Shawn said...

I've heard worse plans. Although I think they should make it everyone who is between 30 and 35.

Tuesday Taylor said...

It all sounds good, but what about the 40 somethings that are just missing out (ahem!). I wish someone would pay my ass a million dollars to not work and drive an American car! Let's drink on it, I mean, sleep on it.

Winky Twinky said...

Nope...don't think I could get behind this one...UNLESS you go back to include 40 on up...I s'pose there could be a special exception allowed to include Shawn, just 'cause he's "special" that way...THEN we've got something going there...I'm Just Sayin...

Phillipia said...

I know I am the old coot in the group, but...well, when you've paid your dues and worked til you're 50 something...ummm - just good luck, 'cuz who knows what plans will be in place by then...

Da Old Man said...

Sounds fine to me.