Saturday, November 21, 2009

Not a healthy year

My ex-mom-in-law was supposed to have open heart surgery yesterday.

But she is so frail her doctor will not risk it.


Sadly, he gave her under 6 months to live as her heart is only working at 10%.


She is not my favorite ex in-law because....well, she raised the ex and he is a lot like her.


But she is grandma to my kids and she has always been good to them and to me in her own way.


I know the next few months are going to be rough on the kids and their dad.


Mom was a nurse and a stickler for healthy eating habits and a germaphobe.


Unfortunately, if she could have brought herself to eat "better" (i.e, more) in the last few months and put on some weight, she would probably be able to have the needed surgery and recover to spend a few more years with her family.


I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I enjoy food and try not to worry about the calories or fat count. If I did, I would probably be in much better shape - although I do have round down pretty good.


I struggle to stay away from chips and salty foods because of my BP, but I do not always win that struggle. Ruggles chips and french onion dip...mmmmm....I am getting a craving just thinking about them.


A co-worker has been in the hospital for over a week now with what the doctors originally diagnosed as pneumonia.


She is on the road to recovery, thankfully.


She is a good person and a joy to work with...


However, she too is a germaphobe.


Which could be why her body had so much trouble fighting off the infection that decided to invade it...


Lately, everytime I think of her and mom, I want to suggest that maybe they could have taken this doc's advice....


Doc backs nose picking


But I don't...

Because...


This is probably a good a time as any to keep my thoughts to myself.

5 comments:

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Now I have to go in search of chips & dip! Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry to hear about your ex-mother-in-law, though.

Phillipia said...

Chips and dip....bring 'em on:)
Thanks, CL.

injaynesworld said...

Chips and dip. Yum... Thanks for stopping by for my little trip down memory lane. I, too, am a recovering Catholic (though we both know one never truly recovers) and just the photo of you in a habit has now caused me to break out in a raging case of hives.

Phillipia said...

Jayne, sorry about the hives - but thanks for suffering through and stopping by:)

Waltsense.com said...

Feels great to get validated for all those years on nosepicking!