Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I was Jonesin'....

I was needing something to read....

A book...

The old-fashioned kind...

That I can read while my computer is booting up...

Or I am in the waiting room...

Or I am curled up on the couch with my Snuggie (more about that later)...

So I made sure I left the office Monday night in time to stop at the local library.

As I am walking in the cute (as in curly-haired, freckles college kid cute) desk guy is announcing that the library will be closing in 20 minutes and everyone should bring their selection to the front desk...NOW...

I assumed NOW meant in 15 minutes, so I took a quick scan for a few books on my list (yeah I have a list)....

I think they rearranged the library since I was there last a few weeks ago....

Really...

How do you go from Sanford to Hoag and then to Patterson on the same shelf....

So I said F-this and decided to see if there was anything by my new favorite author: Christopher Moore.


Ding...Ding...Ding...Jackpot!

Or so I thought.

Blood Sucking Fiends....A love Story

About vampires????

I dropped that sucker right back on the shelf...

No vampires allowed on Phillipia's bookshelf.

One of my unwritten rules.

But then I got to thinking - sometimes I do that....

I do not have a Bible on my shelf of favorite books either...

But Lamb was pretty entertaining...

In an irreverant sort of way...

So I grabbed Fiends and headed for the front desk.

Just as the 5 minutes before closing light blinking charade started ...

I headed home, made dinner - just 'cuz G-Man asked real nice-like, and then headed up to bed with my book.

I gotta tell ya - I was laughing out loud most of the night.

Or at least until the book fell out of my hands because I was just too tired to stay awake.

Thank you Mr. Moore for encouraging me to read outside of my comfort zone...

Gospels and vampires...

If you enjoy this blog you will surely enjoy the irreverance of Christopher Moore....

And thank you Knucklehead for suggesting Lamb.





3 comments:

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Knucklehead also suggested that I read Lamb. Or perhaps he meant eat lamb. I don't know, I'm confused. I can barely read anyway, so it hardly matters. I don't even know where my local library is. I think it might be near Chipotle, but they don't serve lamb, so I'm not sure it's God's will for me to go there. I give up.

gayle said...

I have so many books at home I need to read that I haven't been in one of my favorite places ( my library) in a long time..I have to get busy and read...

Phillipia said...

Mike, say what??? You like lamb?
I had a little lamb once...or so they say...

Gayle, I have to hold my self back from "buying" books because once i read them...more clutter...Someday I hope to live in a big house with a big library....not THE big house.