Friday, November 21, 2008

My Football Hero....

So last night was the High School Football Sports Award banquet.

G-man was voted by his teammates as Best Offensive Back for the 2nd year in a row. I am proud of him because he worked so hard this year to come back after a season-ending ACL tear late last year.

I try to let G-man understand how proud I am of him, not because of his God-given talents, but because of how he makes use of them to better himself and be a good team leader. Earlier in the week I decided that I wanted to do a little something to show him I care.

He plans to participate in a teen retreat this weekend, so I thought I would pick out a Bible and a rosary for him, not just for the retreat, but because he has been showing an interest in the Catholic Youth Group his girlfriend encouraged him to join. (I believe it may have been more of a shotgun type encouragement from her Dad, but that is another story.)

I started with my usual approach to shopping...on-line:) I did find a few choices in the $15-$45 range. But since I wanted this Bible pretty much next day and I wanted to look at it to make sure it was something that would interest G-man, I knew I was going to have to visit some bookstores.

Where to start....not too many Christian bookstores in the area...but then any bookstore would have Bibles, right. And I just happen to know a guy who own a bookstore....And would you believe, he actually has a used copy of an Athletes in Action New Testament. Hmmm, not sure I wanted just a New Testament and not sure I wanted a used Bible....

But then I got to thinking. Until recently, G-man was almost as religious as I am. I want to encourage his faith formation, but I think he may want to pick out his own Bible. So all of a sudden Athletes in Action is sounding pretty good. It's a deal.


Now for the rosary - not at this bookstore. So, I head to the nearest religious gift store I can find. Now mind you, I am looking to buy an inexpensive (~$5) corded rosary. This store has a few different rosaries. And they are beautiful...and they should be for $40.

So then I got to thinking, again...I saw a corded rosary in G-man's car a few months back after one of the Youth Group sessions. I'll bet it was a gift from his girlfriend and he would rather use it than one from Mom....

So last night, just before we were ready to leave for the football dinner, I give G-man a card and he sees the Bible in my hand....

Is that a Bible, Mom. I don't need a Bible - I asked the group leader last week. I do not need a Bible. Why did you buy a Bible?

Ok. Ok. Calm down. I guess you do not want a rosary either...

I have a rosary in my car somewhere...

So why are you going on this retreat? For your girlfriend?

And the other kids...I made a lot of friends in the program and it is fun and I am learning a few things and Fr. Andy is a nice guy...but I am not getting all religious or anything...

Well, just take the Bible on retreat in case you want to read it...or if you want to look up a passage they are talking about...

Yeah, let's hope it's not in the Old Testament cuz this book comes up short in that department. Or maybe one of the cute girls will have the Old Testament and I can be her study partner....
Yeah, that's the G-man I know and love...

Hmmm...wonder if I could get those letters back I wrote....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cute....You should be proud, he's very normal in his interests, but sounds like a really awesome kid. Congrats! Hey, what happened to your picture? I liked her wink..