Monday, January 10, 2011

Rank this.....

So this week is "rank your people" week at Peyton PHlaCe....

All the managers/supervisors are off-site ranking their underlings...

And FPMs are ranking those who have worked on their Ps....

Coincidentally, or not, I received an email this morning asking me if I trusted upper management...

Apparently. a recent survey indicated that not a sufficient number of people trusted upper managemnent to make upper management happy....

So they decided to ask us individually...

Anonomously, of course...

Of course....

Of course, me being me, I replied that I did not trust the guys at the top...

So...next question....

Why Not????

Ok....they asked for it....

And they got it...

MHO that is....


Why would  I trust a management system that fosters competition and backstabbing in the workplace????


Why do managers have to rank their subordinates?


A simple "I would/would not keep her/him" seems to me to be sufficient ranking criteria....


Knowing that someone in your group has to be ranked 1 =  lowest does not seem good for morale....


Personally, I would hope that everyone on my team deserves a 4 or 5 ranking....


And not a 4 or 5 that they are the best on the team...


But that they know what they are doing and are doing their best to do things right.


That way, I know they are doing their job....


And that makes my job easier...

Yeah, I wrote that.....

Because, as it stands now, instead of trusting that my coworkers are doing a good job, my coworkers are regularly looking over my shoulder....

Trying to catch me in mistakes....

Because if I get caught in more mistakes than they do....

Well, its all about the rankings...

Nothing personal...

Well, unfortunately for me, I am not trying to catch their mistakes...

I am too busy making my own....

Gotta love office politics....

Ok, new resolution for 2011:

Find a way to work for myself.....


2 comments:

Venom said...

Phillipia, surely you are aware that most companies (of a size where there are 2-3 levels of mgt above the peons) have keystroke monitoring,right?

Though your answer to them was fair & judiciously worded, mgt anywhere can be total dickheads @ one time or another.

I hope you didn't think they were serious about anonimity. God forbid you have a supervisor/boss with a stick up his ass looking for a victim/scapegoat/fall-taker.

Phillipia said...

Venom,

I am aware....I do not like any of it.

I never have played the game very well.