Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why do I need a landline anyway?

I have been asking myslef this question for the past several months and have seriously considered disconnecting the landline.

But I always have excuses...

...it is the number the schools have...
...I have had that number forever...
...what if the power goes out and I cannot charge my cell?
...and on and on...

Well, the digital land line was not working for a few days (prolly because of something I did or did not do - but that is another issue). What a perfect opportunity to see if we could do without it...

But first...by trying to figure out what was wrong, I found out about a lot of things I can do with my Digital Voice Service from my computer. I can see who called, if the call was answered or missed, and listen to my voice mail, delete or save messages... I believe I can even make calls from my computer using my home number if I am not there - not quite sure about that yet - I may be confused....But bottom line is - who needs a working phone as long as you have Digital Voice Service? Awesome....

Ok, after all that, and after some friends tried to troubleshoot the problem for me, I called AT&T and asked for help. That got me a dial tone at the modem but not at the wall jacks...which told them that I probably had something wrong with the inside lines (or a phone off the hook somewhere). Since I believe I unplugged every phone in the house last night so none of them would be off the hook...I may have a problem in the line...or I may have missed a phone somewhere (more likely, knowing me). So I have until 2:00 PM Sunday to find the culprit phone and cancel the AT&T service call...

Another perfect opportunity for some housecleaning...because if I missed a phone it is probably because the jack (and phone) are hiding behind or beneath some mess...

Oh yeah...back to the question at hand...do we need landline? Probably not since G-Man found a way to communicate (message) using his phone with any wireless connection (even if his cell phone service is off) ....

Now I just need the guts to make the final step and get rid of the landline once and for all...

Maybe in a year or so...when I am sure I will not need it...

No comments: